[DNA] new DNA version 1.16 available
info at philipleifeld.de
Tue Feb 23 05:10:10 CET 2010
Dear DNA users,
a new version of the software Discourse Network Analyzer (DNA) is
available at http://www.philipleifeld.de.
The new version 1.16 has several new features:
- Regular expressions manager. This function allows to set up an
unlimited number of keywords along with user-defined text colors. The
keywords will be highlighted in the text. This facilitates the coding
procedure because the coder can now easily discover categories or actors
in the text if the search terms have been specified carefully. The
keywords are in fact extremely powerful regular expressions, for example
terms like "(greenhouse)|(green house) gas" are possible in order to
account for variations in the way keywords are expressed.
- Progress bars are shown when large files are opened or saved.
- The recode function has been improved: Multiple criteria are can now
be combined to select statements. Wildcards (for example %o for
organization) can be used to recode statements.
- Bugfix: A graphical error during the network export has been fixed.
The progress bar has been replaced by a status log.
- Bugfix: A message is now displayed if Java runs out of memory (=Heap
- The DL edgelist format has been removed.
The manual has also been updated.
I have recently submitted an article to the preprint series of the Max
Planck Institute for Research on Collective Goods, where discourse
network analysis is compared to political claims analysis. Both
approaches are applied to the EU-level conflict on software patents. The
paper is co-authored by Sebastian Haunss (University of Konstanz). It
may take a couple of weeks until the review process is finished.
More information about the DNA-help